Yoga poses for plus size women should hopefully make you realize that yoga is for everyone. It doensn’t matter what your age is or your weight and size, you can enjoy the benefits of yoga.
Working out can be difficult when you are overweight, but yoga provides an alternative way for you to get your body active and healthier without going through a heavy workout session.
It will be much more easier for people who are flexible but the best part about yoga is that it is a process where you grow day by day and improve over time. These yoga poses are going to stretch and strengthen your muscles and improve your flexibility.
Forget any previous thoughts you may have had in the past that yoga is only for slim people. If you’re overweight, yoga is for you too.
Things you may need:
- Yoga Block
- Yoga Mat
Start with the following yoga poses for plus size women and see changes in you that follow. (Related: 10 Minute Morning Yoga for Beginners for All Day Energy).
5 Yoga Poses For Plus Size Women
Downward Facing Dog Pose
Downward Facing Dog Pose is great for stretching your back.
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Bend your knees a little and lower your body forward till you touch the floor with the palms of your hands.
- Try to straighten your knees as much as you can.
- Take 10 breaths while in this pose.
- Get up by bringing your knees to the floor and stand up straight.
- Rest for 20 seconds.
If you can’t reach the floor, put your hands on a yoga block or a chair instead of reaching all the way down to the floor.
The Cat and Cow Pose are done one after the other.
- Get on all fours with your knees on the floor and hip-distance apart.
- Place your hands under your shoulders with your palms touching the floor.
- Lift your head up and face forward.
- When you exhale, arch your back and raise your shoulders.
Follow with the Cow Pose below and repeat the poses one after the other.
- While in the Cat Pose, inhale and curl your back in, raising your spine to the sky.
- Lower your head, stretching your neck.
- Tighten you stomach for a few seconds.
- Release the pose by exhaling and getting into a Cat Pose.
- Repeat the two poses for 45 seconds and relax.
You should stretch your body when you do the Cat and Cow Poses.
This pose engages your abdomen and stretches your back and shoulders.
- Lie on the floor with you hips and stomach on the floor.
- Place the palms of your hands next to your shoulders and push up lifting your upper body.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor and straighten your arms, try not to raise your hips high.
- Lift your head up and look up straight.
- Hold this position for 10-20 seconds breathing in and out.
- Relax for 20 seconds and do the nex pose.
This pose may be a bit tricky if you can’t balance.
- Start by stand against the wall.
- Depending on whether or not you can balance, raise one foot and put it against the inner knee of your other leg or alternatively place it against the calf.
- Raise your hands over your head, straighten your arms and put the palm of your hands together. Alternatively, you can put your hands together in front of your chest.
- Hold this pose for 15-30 seconds, breathing in and out slowly and comfortably.
Repeat with the other foot.
Pigeon Pose is a good hip opener and will improve flexibility in your hips.
- Start on all fours with your knees on the floor.
- Bring one leg forward, left leg, bend it and bring your ankle close to your right hip.
- Lower your body down, extending your right leg back. Depending on your flexibility, you may want to place a pillow or yoga block underneath your hips.
- Make sure your hips are facing forward.
- Lift your back and shoulders as you inhale and lean forward a bit when you exhale opening up your hips.
- Do this pose for 10-20 seconds, switch legs and repeat.
We are all different and unique, this is the beauty of life. Yoga is not for special people who have been flexible from childhood. Flexibility improves overtime.
There are so many benefits of yoga and you shouldn’t deny yourself of them. From now, practice yoga poses for plus size women at least twice a week and see changes in your health and well being.
You May Also Like:
- 10 Yoga Poses for Flat Abs: 20 Minutes Workout to a Flatter Belly
- 5 Fat Burning Yoga Poses for Faster Weight Loss
- 10 Yoga Poses for Beginners: Basic Poses To Get You Started
Did you like this post? Save this Pin to your Yoga board on Pinterest 🙂
If you want to know more about yoga and would like to experience the wonderful benefits of yoga and improve your health with yoga from the comfort of your home then I recommend to you Yoga Burn, a program by Zoey Bray-Cotton.
Yoga Burn promises to help you with the following:
- Boost your metabolism
- Tighten your stomach
- Shape and tone your body
- De-stress and relieve tension
- Manage your weight
- Gain flexibility
With so much confidence placed on Yoga Burn, Zoey Bray-Cotton offers a 60-day, no-questions-asked money back guarantee should you not be happy with the results. You have nothing to lose but so much more to gain.
The program is designed for women from all walks of life whether they are newbies to yoga and fitness or advanced.